Let’s come together and heal 🙂
Nobody’s perfect. We all need support.
And we all know this too.
The Beatles would say “We all need a lil’ help from our friends.”
Yet despite knowing all too well about our imperfections…
Oftentimes we hold ourselves to the highest standards and end up self-sabotaging!!
So let’s talk about perfectionism.
- Where does perfectionism stem from?
- What are the pro’s and con’s of perfectionism?
- What practical steps can we take in place of perfectionism?
I bring this topic up because a major conversation topic last week at our weekly group meeting was perfectionism.
I’ll paraphrase here, but someone spoke up and bravely said:
“I quit everything I start. I try stuff and then when I fail, I beat myself up. Now I don’t try anything anymore because I know that I’ll fail before I even start.”
We continued the discussion by exploring:
- How perfectionism sabotages progress
- For example, you might do some small positive action but then belittle yourself for not doing more.
- Self-criticism makes the process of growth miserable
- If you beat yourself after making progress, you feel bad. If you feel bad, you don’t want to continue.
- Important keys to beating perfectionism:
- Set small steps that count as success. Think really small steps! Like walking for 3 minutes a day
- Make these small steps feel good and don’t beat yourself up afterwards!!
So anyways, this week is going to be about perfectionism.
Because this is a problem I hear about all the time!!!
Just know that you aren’t alone …
In fact, I am starting a private facebook group for this very purpose.
My intention is to provide a safe place online for people to hangout and support each other.