Discover How To Stop Emotional Eating Forever And Emotional Eating By Treating True Causes and Symptoms
Wouldn’t it be nice to stop emotional eating forever?
Someone asked me this recently, saying “I just want to stop eating emotionally!”
I took a deep breath and explained to them, “Even normal people around food emotionally eat. We evolved around food. It’s okay to manage your emotions with food, to a degree.”
So what does stopping emotional eating and binge eating really mean? Do you even have a problem?
And you do have an emotional eating problem, what can you do about it?
By browsing this in-depth 3 part article you’ll:
- Discover the symptoms of problematic emotional eating
- Understand the underlying pattern causing your emotional eating
- And be able to make strides to stop
Now please keep in mind this post is the first in a three-part series about Emotional Eating…
This information is intended to be digested slowly…
Perhaps you sip on some coffee and take some notes …
And go through, skimming lightly, highlighting, etc …
Stop Emotional Eating Forever
Do you really want to never comfort yourself with food again?
And you don’t have to.
Emotional Eating becomes a problem when you
- Only have 1 tool to cope with negative emotions which is food
- Primarily use food to cope with negative emotions
Emotional Eating is where you NEARLY ALL THE TIME use FOOD to COPE with Negative Emotions.
Do you have a problem with Emotional Eating?
Here are some questions commonly asked to determine if you have an Emotional Eating Disorder (according HelpGuide.com).
Side note: I think these questions highlight very well the different aspects of Emotional Eating and where Emotional Eating might show up in your life.
However, the same rule applies.
These are only problematic when you primarily use food in these situations to handle negative emotions. Know I’m not trying to scare you because yes, these are pretty general)
- Do you eat more when you’re feeling stressed?
- Or perhaps you eat when you’re not hungry or when you’re full?
- Maybe, do you eat to feel better (to calm and soothe yourself when you’re sad, mad, bored, anxious, etc.)?
- Ahhh! Do you reward yourself with food?
- I know … Do you regularly eat until you’ve stuffed yourself?
- Does food make you feel safe? Do you feel like food is a friend?
- Do you feel powerless or out of control around food?
From Stuck Emotional Eater To Aware Emotional Eater
The first thing you can do to transform emotional eating …
(and one of the most neglected steps)
Is to admit, realize, and open up about Emotional Eating.
Because I have met soooo many people who are STUCK trying to lose weight …
Not because they are lazy.
Not because they lack willpower or have bad genes …
Simply because they have an image in their head …
That they AREN’T an Emotional Eater.
And this mindset prevents them from doing the emotional work necessary to heal and lose weight primarily as a result of healing.
He was able to open his eyes and see …
The Underlying Cycle of Emotional Eating
And this my friend, is the KEY on how you can stop emotional eating forever.
You MUST realize …
These 3 pillars.
- Emotional Eating is CAUSED by negative emotion.
- Using Food helps you feel better but …
- Is ONLY temporary